Michigan voters approved the legalization of recreational marijuana in 2018. By December 2019, state-licensed businesses started selling cannabis.
MLive has provided focused coverage the last year on the the various developments in the industry, from legislation to sales trends to personal stories. It’s now sharing the lessons learned.
The media company has partnered with Select to host a virtual forum on the ins and outs of the cannabis industry from 2 to 3:30 p.m. on Oct. 27. The goal is to provide insights to business owners within the industry and provide an avenue for them to network.
You can register for the event here for $15.
The forum will be hosted on Zoom by Eric Hultgren, MLive director of social media and content, and Gus Burns, a statewide political reporter who focused on cannabis coverage over the last year.
After opening remarks, Burns and Hultgren will speak to MLive’s coverage of the cannabis industry and its developments in the last year. Next, Andrew Brisbo, executive director for the Marijuana Regulator Agency, will provide a keynote speech as an industry insider.
Brisbo, appointed by Gov. Gretchen Whitmer in May 2019, leads a staff of 100-plus members and laid the regulatory groundwork in Michigan’s first year of legalized recreational cannabis.
Business and legal leaders, as well as people that have seen the benefits of cannabis personally, will present their perspectives and insights, and they will be available for questions. These people are:
- Robin Schneider, executive director for the Michigan Cannabis Industry Association
- Anqunette “Q” Safroh, a retired morning anchor for Fox 2 Detroit. She is a multiple sclerosis patient and an advocate for the cannabis industry.
- Bob Hendricks, a lawyer and founding member and chair of the State Bar of Michigan’s Marijuana Law Section
- Patrick Sughroue, co-founder and the principal of The Business Law Group. Since 1983, Patrick has served as legal counsel and business advisor in connection with numerous business organization, including ones in the cannabis industry.
- Max Simon, CEO and co-Founder of Green Flower, a cannabis education company. The company produces online curriculum to train cannabis workforces around the world.
- Chris Ramos, director of operations for Select’s Michigan operations.
In addition to Select, the sponsors for this event are Northern Michigan University, the Cannabis Counsel, Native Michigan Remedies, MedFarms, The Continental Companies, DA Advisory Group and The Business Law Group.
The event is intended for current industry leaders and business owners, as well as those wishing to be thought leaders in the cannabis trade.
Read more MLive coverage on cannabis: