A Nottinghamshire social care worker has described the moment a spare vape battery caught fire in his pocket and left him with severe burn injuries.

Dan Vowles, 46, was finishing up a shift at work on November 1 when he began noticing his pocket getting warm.

Mr Vowles regularly takes spare vape batteries with him to work, ready to use when one battery loses charge.

However, in what he has described as a “freak accident”, one of his spare batteries began “glowing red” in his pocket before causing horrific burn injuries to his hand and leg.

He has described the moment he realised the vape was catching alight, seeing the battery “spark” and “flash” before his pocket set on fire.

“I had finished work, I was just finishing off a few bits and bobs, I was due to come home and I felt my pocket get warm,” he told Nottinghamshire Live.

“I thought I’d left my vape turned on in my pocket and the button had been pressed, but when I looked down and put my hand in my pocket, that’s when I noticed it spark.

“It sparked and then there was a flash, my pocket set on fire and the air turned blue with language.

“I shouted ‘get me out, get me out’, and the battery was glowing red after I had thrown it across the office.

“It was literally red hot, and when I went outside I noticed that my right hand had been burnt raw, the right hand side of my leg and the pocket was burnt.

Blurred image shows severe burns to Dan Vowles’ hand after his spare vape battery exploded in his pocket.

“At the time I didn’t think my leg was injured as much as it was, I thought my hand was more significantly injured.

“But as time has gone on, I think I had just gone into shock and it had numbed everything.”

Mr Vowles was taken to hospital by colleagues before being transferred to the burns unit at Nottingham’s City Hospital.

While he says he is unsure exactly why the battery exploded, he fears it may be down to a fault or the battery not being “up to standard”.

“It was a freak accident, but I don’t think I’ll be carrying spare batteries in my pocket again,” he added.

“I wouldn’t advise anybody to carry batteries in their pocket.

“I don’t know what the solution would be for people who need their spare batteries.

“It’s put me in a cautious position because I put my batteries on charge overnight, but I’ve never had an issue with it. Nothing’s ever happened.

“I’ve known peoples’ batteries blow up while connected to the vape, but that’s because the button has been pressed for too long and it’s allowed the current to flow.

“But for a battery on its own to blow up, there’s something wrong there. “

The burnt-out vape battery which caused severe burns to Dan Vowles’ hand and leg.

Speaking following Mr Vowles’ incident, Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service have issued a warning to people about the dangers of electronic cigarette fires.

Chris Emmott, group manager for the fire service, said: “This is a reminder of the dangers vapes and vape batteries can cause.

“We want to urge the public to remain vigilant when purchasing batteries by making sure they are from a recognised and reputable trader.

“Never use damaged equipment or batteries and do not use counterfeit goods.

“Please remember when charging a vape to only use the charger designed specifically for the vape.

“Users should never charge them overnight and once they are fully charged they should be turned off and unplugged to avoid a potential electrical fire.”

As a gesture of goodwill following his stay at Nottingham’s City Hospital, Mr Vowles has set up a fundraising page to support the burns unit.

The fundraiser, which is available here, has raised more than £500 since being set up last week.

Share

This post was originally published on this site