NEW YORK (1010 WINS) — A 17-year-old male from the Bronx who died last Friday is New York State’s first vaping-related death, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Tuesday afternoon at a press conference.
“This vaping is a public health crisis,” Cuomo said. “You are playing with your life … with this stuff.”
Cuomo’s office said the death was reported to the State Department of Health on Tuesday.
The teen was previously hospitalized in early September with a vaping-associated respiratory illness, Cuomo’s office said. He was re-admitted in late September and died Oct. 4.
The teen died after being transported to Montefiore Medical Center, sources told The New York Post.
The Post also reported that it is believed the boy became ill by vaping cartridges containing THC, the main ingredient in marijuana that causes the high.
As of Tuesday, the Department of Health has received 110 reports from New York physicians of severe pulmonary illness among patients ranging from 14 to 69 years of age who were using at least one vape product prior to becoming ill, Cuomo’s office said.
Nationally, as of October 1, 2019, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control reported more than 1,000 cases of vaping-associated illnesses, with 18 confirmed fatalities.